Aama vadai (deep fried lentil patties) are one of the popular South Indian Deepavali snacks. Traditionally aama vadai is prepared without adding spices like fennel, cumin, garlic, etc. particularly on Deepavali, and they were kept soaked in a bowl of creamy curd (yogurt) and served as Thayir Vadai next day.
Aama vadai is a delicious snack crunchy on the outside & soft inside and it tastes best when served with coconut chutney.
Aama Vadai Recipe:
Cooking Time (excluding soaking time) : 30 min
Yields : 15 Nos.
- Split chickpeas (kadalai paruppu)- 1 cup (200 g)
- Red chillies(milagai vatral) – 4 Nos.
- Ginger (inji) – 1 inch length
- Onion (vengayam) – 1 No
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Aama Vadai dough:
- Wash & soak lentils in water, rinse & drain off water after 2 hours.
- Chop onion & curry leaves finely and keep them aside.
- Grind red chillies & ginger coarsely without adding water using mixer-grinder.
- Keep a tbsp of soaked lentils separately, add remaining lentils & grind into a coarse dough without adding water.
Frying aama vadai:
- Transfer dough to a bowl with left-over soaked lentils, chopped onion, curry leaves & salt and mix them well.
- Divide dough into 15 lemon sized balls.
- Heat a deep frying pan with oil (about 1½ inch depth) in high flame.
- When its temperature reaches about 225 deg Celcius (or just before its boiling point), reduce the flame to medium.
- Flatten lentil balls into patties (vadai) and gently drop them one by one into oil.
- Fry them in a batch of 5 to 7 patties depending on the size of pan.
- Flip them over to fry both sides.
- Remove from oil when they stop sizzling and place them on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excessive oil.
- Serve hot aama vadai with coconut chutney.
Tips & Tweaks:
- Lentils I have used require only 2 hours of soaking, but the ones you are using may require more soaking time. If they are not soaked completely, we would notice the raw smell even after frying vadai.
- I used sunflower oil here and you can fry them in groundnut oil also.
- It is preferred to fry patties in medium flame constantly.
- Ginger is added to improve the digestion, you may also follow the steps below if you still find difficulty in digesting lentils:
- Soak them overnight, drain water completely and rinse well with fresh water.
- Add fresh coriander leaves & cumin seeds into the dough.