Since bland white cabbage has always been my family’s bête noire, I find vibrant purple cabbage/ red cabbage the best alternate. So I have prepared cabbage poriyal using purple cabbage and served with radish sambar as below.
Purple cabbage Health Benefits:
Incidentally I came to know that purple cabbage has more health benefits than white/ green cabbage. Purple cabbage has a nutrient anthocyanin, an antioxidant responsible for its purple color, has anti-cancerous properties; also purple cabbage has 10 times more Vitamin A and has almost double the iron & Vit.C than other cabbages. Interestingly, 90% of purple cabbage is water, so it is good for weight watchers too.
So we can simply replace green cabbage with purple cabbage and prepare cabbage poriyal or kootu. Purple cabbage poriyal can be served as a salad or as a side for rice, and purple cabbage kootu may be served with rice or chappathi. You may check out my other poriyal recipes here.
Purple Cabbage poriyal Recipe:
- Purple cabbage (medium size) – 1 No.
- Green gram lentil (paasi paruppu) – 1/8 cup (25 g)
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
For spice mix:
- Coconut – 8 pieces (each approx. 1″)
- Green chillies – 3 Nos.
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Shallots – 9 Nos.
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mise en place:
- Wash lentils & cook them soft.
- Grind all ingredients listed under “For grinding” without adding water.
- Wash cabbage and mince finely using food processor.
How to prepare purple cabbage poriyal:
- Heat a pan with oil in medium flame.
- Add cumin seeds followed by curry leaves.
- Add minced cabbage and saute for a while in low flame.
- Pour lemon juice into the pan & close with a lid.
- Simmer for 10 min or till cabbage is cooked soft.
- Add salt, lentils & coconut mixture and stir well.
- Cabbage poriyal is ready to serve.
Tips & Tweaks:
- We can add fresh peas along with lentils, cook them soft and then add into this poriyal.
- We can also make chettinad style spicy masala kootu using red cabbage as shown below.
- Cooking purple cabbage at a medium/ high flame or for longer time will lead to discoloration (it will turn pale blue); hence we can add little lemon juice or vinegar to prevent the discoloration.
- I prefer to use food processor for shredding cabbage, if you chop them into big chunks it would take long time to cook them.