Coriander seeds chutney is very effective in alleviating morning sickness for pregnant women. It can be served as a dip for chips, papads or crackers, a spread for sandwich, or a side for idli, dosa, variety rice & millet porridge (kanji or koozh). You can also make this chutney in large quantity and refrigerate for a week as it helps to enhance the flavor of sambar, kulambu, or kurma when added at the end. Roasted coriander seeds are so aromatic that we can use them in any dish to elevate the flavors.
As per Ayurveda, an ancient Indian system of medicine, this spice has many healing powers; particularly it aids in digestion, stimulates appetite, prevents food poisoning and lowers blood sugar. Now the recipe for multipurpose coriander seeds chutney is as below:
Time Taken: 10 min
Serves : 4
- Coriander seeds (malli vidhai) – 1/2 cup
- Red chillies (milagai vatral) – 13 Nos
- Tamarind (puli) – please refer the image below
- Coconut (thaengai) – 7 pieces (each 1 inch length)
- Jaggery (vellam) – 1/2 tsp
- Salt (uppu) – 1 tsp
- Sesame oil (nallennai) – 1 tsp
- Heat a pan with oil in low flame.
- Roast red chillies & remove from pan before getting burnt.
- In the same pan add coriander seeds and roast in low flame until they release pleasant aroma.
- When they reach room temperature, grind them into a powder.
- Add tamarind & coconut pieces and grind without adding water.
- Add jaggery & salt and whisk for a while.
- Add water gradually and grind for few times until chutney becomes smooth.
- Transfer coriander seeds chutney to a serving bowl & garnish with tempering.
- Serve with hot idli and spongy uttapam.
- Please be careful while roasting red chillies & coriander seeds; roast them separately in low flame and remove from pan before getting burnt. If one of them becomes darker, it changes the colour of chutney to black/ brown.
- If you want to refrigerate this chutney for longer period, do not use coconut pieces.
- Coriander seeds take longer time to grind into a fine paste; it is better to add water little by little & grind it as smooth as possible.