Drumstick leaves (murungai keerai) sambar is a flavorful nutritious curry prepared without tamarind and hence it is known as puli illa curry (no-tamarind curry) popular in Tirunelveli & other surrounding places. Puli ill curry is usually served with rice, any poriyal or aviyal & roasted appalam.
Health Benefits: Drumstick leaves are rich sources of iron, hence it is beneficial to anemic women and children, who could find significant improvement in their health after including this in their diet. Drumstick leaves act as laxative and hence care must be taken while serving this to kids or old people; one should gradually increase its in-take especially while take it for the first time.
My mother used to add brinjal, drumsticks, shallots along with drumstick leaves. But here I used drumsticks alone as I prepare this curry in small quantity.
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
- Green gram (paasi paruppu) – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Drumstick leaves (murungai keerai) – a handful
- Drumsticks (murungai kai) – 2 Nos
- Coconut – 4 pieces
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 10 Nos.
- Peppercorns (milagu) – 1 tsp
- Cumins (jeeragam) – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek (vendhayam) – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (kayam/ hing) – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Separate drumstick leaves from its stem and wash them.
- Pressure cook greengram (simmer for 5 min after whistle) and keep aside.
- Grind coconut, pepper, cumins & shallots into a fine paste.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with oil, add fenugreek, drumsticks followed by water.
- Add turmeric powder & chilli powder and bring it to a boil.
- When drumsticks are half-cooked, add drumstick leaves & sambar powder.
- Add cooked greengram when drumsticks’ seeds become soft.
- Add salt & hing, mix them well.
- Add coconut paste and cook for a min.
- Drumstick leaves curry is ready to serve.
- Do not use yellow-colored drumstick leaves.
- I always like to add sambar powder just before final boil to enhance its flavor.
- Pepper elevates its taste & drumstick leaves its flavor.
- If you dont want it spicy you can reduce chilli powder by half or omit chilli powder, but not pepper.