When I noticed a bottle of left-over Nutella kept unused for some days, I badly wanted to use it up in one shot and hence I decided to bake an eggless Nutella cake. Although the idea of combining chocolate & banana together is not liked by some, it worked wonders for me, and I was extremely delighted with the outcome of luscious cake with moist texture & tender crumbs.
Here is the recipe for an eggless chocolate cake that combines the sweetness of banana with bitter cocoa to make it even more chocolaty: You can also refer my other eggless baking recipes here.
Nutella cake recipe:
Time Taken: 50 min
A) Dry ingredients:
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup (200 g)
- Cocoa powder – ½ cup ( 100 g)
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
B) Wet ingredients:
- Ripe banana – 3 Nos.
- Un-refined caster sugar – 1 cup
- Nutella – ½ cup
- Any neutral oil – ½ cup
- Lukewarm water – ½ cup
C) For garnishing: (optional)
- Cucumber seeds (vellari vidhai)
- Fresh cherries
Nutella Cake preparation
Step 1 : Mixing the flours
Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix well.
Step 2: Preparing cake batter
- Mash banana using a food processor or mixer-grinder.
- Add sugar, nutella & oil into mashed banana and blend well.
- Pour nutella mixture into the flour and whisk to combine together.
- Pour lukewarm water into the batter and mix well until incorporated.
Step-3 : Baking
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg C.
- Grease a cake dish (I used the one of size 6½” x 6½” x 2″h) with oil & dust with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle cucumber seeds over the batter.
- Bake for 40 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, transfer to a plate and allow it cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into medium-sized cubes and decorate with fresh cherries.
- Serve banana flavored chocolate cake.
- Store remaining cake in an airtight container for few days.
- If you are using granulated sugar, you may have to reduce it to ¾ cup.