This is our family’s favorite chocolate cake for being dark, chocolaty, spongy, and most importantly guilt-free. I have used whole wheat flour instead of plain flour (maida), vegetable oil in place of butter, and also used home-made yogurt (curd). I have also used chocolate ganache for frosting and garnished with chopped pista & edible rose petals.
Now the recipe for eggless whole wheat chocolate cake:
Time taken: 60 min
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup ( 200 g)
- Cocoa powder – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Sugar – 1 cup (200 g)
- Flavorless vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil here) – 1/2 cup (100 ml)
- Curd – 1 cup (200 g)
- Baking Powder – 1 and 1/4 tsp
- Instant Coffee Powder – 1 and 1/4 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
For Chocolate Ganache:
- Fresh cream – 1 cup
- Dark Chocolate – 1 cup
- Crushed Pistachios – 1 tbsp
- Chopped edible rose petals – 1 tsp
There are four steps involved in making any cake viz., mixing dry ingredients, making cake batter, baking & frosting. I always like to follow them rigorously for making a perfect cake.
Step I – Mixing dry ingredients:
- Sieve wheat flour in a bowl followed by cocoa and mix them thoroughly.
Step II – Making cake batter:
- In a bowl add sugar and curd, mix them till sugar dissolves in curd.
- Add baking powder, baking soda & oil and mix them.
- Keep it for few minutes (approx 5 min) till it becomes frothy.
- Add flour & cocoa mixture and mix them without forming any lumps.
- Add instant coffee powder & mix them evenly.
- Now cake batter is ready to be baked.
Step III – Baking:
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg.
- Grease a baking pan with 1 tsp oil.
- Dust the pan evenly with some flour as shown in the picture.
- Pour cake batter into the pan.
- Bake for 40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Keep the cake on wire rack till it reaches room temperature.
Step IV – Frosting: (Optional)
- Microwave fresh cream in a bowl for 10 min. (Please refer the notes below.)
- Add chopped chocolates into it.
- Mix them well until chocolate melts & blends together.
- Pour this chocolate ganache over cake and spread with a spatula evenly.
- Sprinkle crushed pistachios & chopped rose petals on top of chocolate ganache.
- Slice & serve this delicious chocolate cake.
- If you are calorie-conscious, you may leave Step IV for frosting, even without frosting this cake tastes heavenly.
- Please adjust microwave time for fresh cream according to your ovens wattage; Beware that longer heating may lead to curdling; so pause the m/w oven & check the cream often. Or you can just keep it on a stove till its edges start to boil.
- I am sure that the attempt to bake this cake will be a sure success if we do not omit any ingredient and just follow the same measurements and cooking directions mentioned above.