Horsegram or kollu is a humble bean with amazing health benefits. Horsegram is normally recommended by Ayurvedic practitioners for weight loss, to control cholesterol, treat jaundice & menstrual problems and also to keep us warm during winter. The best way to include horsegram into our diet is by adding a teaspoon of horsegram idli powder (kollu podi) into a cup of buttermilk as it helps to reduce the body heat generated by horsegram.
Besides we can mix kollu podi with sesame oil, marinate idli or dosa in this mixture before serving. Alternately we can sprinkle kollu podi over hot dosa while cooking on a griddle and serve as podi uthappam. Now the recipe for kollu podi is as below:
Horsegram Idli Powder recipe:
Preparation Time : 20 min
Yields: 1 and 1/2 cup
- Horsegram (kollu) – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Black gram (karuppu ulundhu)- 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Red chillies (milagai vatral) – 25 Nos.
- Garlic (poondu) – 1 bulb (10 pods)
- A small piece of asafoetida block
- Sesame oil (nallennai) – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
Horsegram idli powder making:
- Heat a pan with oil, roast asafoetida block and red chillies separately.
- In the same pan fry horsegram & blackgram separately till they release aroma.
- When lentils reach room temperature, add red chillies into a mixer-grinder jar & grind into a powder.
- Then add lentils & grind into a coarse powder.
- Add garlic & salt and blend together in the “pulse” mode.
- Store in a dry air-tight container.
You may check out the recipes for different types of idli powder here.