Lemon Rasam is a soup prepared in almost every South Indian household. It can be served with hot rice and it tastes delicious when served as a soup during winter.
Cooking Time : 15 min
Yields : 500 ml
For Rasam Powder:
- Cumin seeds (jeeragam) – 1 tsp
- Pepper (milagu) – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds (malli vidhai) – 1 tbsp
- Red chillies (milagai vatral) – 4 Nos
- Garlic (poondu) – 3 pods
- Lemon (elumichai) – 1 No.
- Tomato (thakkali) – 1/2
- Ghee (Nei) – 1 tsp
- Salt (uppu) – 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery (vellam) – 1/2 tsp
- Lentil water (or plain water) – 2 cups
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Grind all ingredients listed under “For Rasam Powder” into coarse powder.
- Heat a pan with ghee in low flame, add ground powder and saute till it releases nice aroma.
- Add lentil water, chopped tomatoes, jaggery, salt & curry leaves and bring to a boil.
- Now turn off the flame, add lemon juice & stir rasam well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & serve with hot rice.
- Lentil water can be prepared by mixing one tablespoon of cooked lentil with 2 cups of water.
- Do not replace ghee (clarified butter) with oil as it enhances taste & aroma.