Millet Kichadi is our family’s favorite breakfast. Generally I prepare this nutritious kichadi when my son preparing for his exams as it helps to keep him fresh & focused during his exam even though he had not slept well the previous night. Since all the ingredients in this kichadi are rich in micro-nutrients, it turns out to be a wholesome food. Hence millet kichadi is the perfect breakfast for active children & busy professionals to keep them energetic all through the day.
I used little millet or saamai here and you can try the same with other similar millets also. You may refer the table below for the health benefits of millets.
Now the recipe for saamai kichadi is as below:
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 2
- Little millet (saamai) – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Carrot – 1 No
- Potato (urulai) – 1 No
- Fresh peas (pachai pattani) – 50 g
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 10 Nos
- Green chilli – 1 No
- Red chilli – 3 Nos
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil – 25 ml (1/8 cup)
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Wash all vegetables and prepare them as shown below.
- Wash millets, drain water completely and keep them aside.
- Chop onions & ginger finely.
- Slit green chilli & break red chillies into halves.
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil in medium flame.
- Add onions, green chilli, red chillies, ginger, turmeric powder and vegetables & saute for a minute.
- Pour water into cooker, add millets & salt and bring them to a boil.
- Close the cooker & simmer for 5 min.
- When the pressure is released, gently mix kichadi with wooden spatula.
- Serve hot millet kichadi with spicy coconut chutney.or sambar.
- If you are trying this recipe with other millets like panivaragu or thinai you may have to adjust the water & time (for pressure cooking) accordingly.
- I’ve avoided doing the tempering here as I feel it affects earthy flavor of millets; but if you want you can do the tempering with mustard seeds & curry leaves before adding onion.
- I feel the combination of red chilli, green chilli & ginger makes kichadi so delicious & aromatic.
- You can also try mixing equal portions of coconut oil & any other flavorless vegetable oil, and I must admit that coconut oil is one of the main reasons behind its delicious flavor.