Millet noodles is a delicious gluten-free meal that can be prepared in a jiffy using instant ragi noodles. Finger millets (ragi) can be included into the children, women and also old people’s diet as they are rich in calcium and iron. Iron is fully absorbed by our body only in the presence of Vitamin C. So it is a good practice to add the ingredients rich in Vitamin C like tomatoes, bell peppers (kudamilagai), lemon juice, etc. into a recipe using ragi millets. Here I have used tomatoes & bell peppers into my ragi idiyappam, and we can also add a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.
Millet Noodles Recipes (Sweet & Savory versions):
Time Taken: 30 min
|Sweet Millet Noodles||Savory Millet Noodles|
|Instant Ragi millet noodles (about 250g)||Instant Ragi millet noodles (about 250g)|
|A tsp of ghee||A tbsp of coconut oil|
|One-fourth of a coconut meat||1 Onion|
|1 Cardamom||1 Green pepper|
|1/2 cup of golden castor sugar||1 Tomato|
|10 Cashewnuts||1/4 cup of fresh peas|
|3 Green chillies|
|1 tsp of lemon juice|
|3/4 tsp of salt|
How to cook millet noodles:
- Soak instant ragi noodles in water for 5 min.
- Steam them in a steamer for 8-10 min.
- Take 2 equal portions of steamed ragi noodles in 2 bowls & keep them aside.
- Heat a small pan with ghee in medium low flame, fry cashews and keep them aside.
- Grind coconut & cardamon into a powder.
- Add ground coconut & caster sugar into steamed noodles.
- Mix them well with a wooden spatula.
- Garnish with roasted cashews & serve sweet ragi idiappam.
- Microwave fresh peas & keep aside.
- Chop onion, green pepper & tomato into small cubes.
- Slit green chillies into halves.
- Heat a pan with oil in medium flame, add onion & slit chillies and saute till onion turn translucent.
- Add green peppers and saute for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and saute till moisture is absorbed.
- Then add boiled peas & 1/4 tsp salt and mix well.
- Add steamed noodles and mix with all veggies.
- Finally add 1/2 tsp salt & lemon juice and mix evenly before transferring to a serving bowl.
- Serve spicy idiyappam with onion raitha.
- We can also use other millet noodles and prepare the same.
- If you want to use sugar, you may have to reduce sugar by half, (ie. 1/4 cup of sugar).
- You can also garnish spicy idiyappam with coriander leaves or coconut gratings.