Mor kuzhambu is a traditional South Indian yogurt curry. We prepare this curry using sour curd (yogurt), thus enriched with probiotic organisms. Hence, yogurt curry is not only a delicious curry but also a nutritious curry, and we can serve this to everyone young or old. Usually, we serve mor kuzhambu with plain rice or keerai sadam (rice with mashed greens). It is also a perfect side dish for paruppu adai.
Meals with mor kuzhambu:
Recipe for South Indian yogurt curry:
Generally, we prepare yogurt curry with quite a few vegetables like ladies finger (vendaikai), ash gourd (white pumpkin), colacasia (cheppankizhangu) & drumsticks. Even if we don’t have any of these vegetables, we can make delicious kuzhambu by immersing vazhaipoo vadai, aama vadai, masala vadai or keerai vadai into this curry.
Now I have prepared it with ladies finger, and the recipe is as below:
- Sour Curd (pulitha thayir) – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Ladies finger (vendaikai) – 7 Nos.
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds (vendhayam) – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida (hing) – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
For spice mix:
- Coconut – 8 pieces (each 1 inch)
- Green chillies – 4 Nos
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Roasted Bengal gram (fried gram/ udacha kadalai)* – 1/4 cup
*This is used as a thickening agent, some prefer to replace it with soaked rice/ Bengal gram.
Mise en place:
- Wash ladies fingers & cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Whisk curd until smooth and keep aside.
- Grind all the ingredients for spice mix into smooth paste.
- Mix the spice mix into curd and leave aside.
How to make vendakkai mor kuzhambu:
- Heat a pan with coconut oil, and add fenugreek seeds into the pan.
- When they turn golden add curry leaves.
- Add ladies fingers & sauté for a min in medium flame.
- Then add turmeric powder & water and bring it to a boil.
- Cover the pan and cook the ladies fingers until soft.
- Add coconut paste and saute in low flame until the raw smell disappears.
- Add water and bring it to a boil in medium flame.
- Reduce flame to low and add curd, asafoetida & salt and mix them well.
- Remove from heat just before it reaches the boiling point.
- Garnish with coriander leaves when the curry is hot.
- Vendakkai mor kuzhambu is ready to serve.
Yogurt curry tastes even more delicious when taken along with perfect accompaniments. So I have shown below some of the dishes that go well with rice & mor kulambu.