One of the most indelible joyful moments of any mother would be seeing her children relish the healthy food prepared by her. Serving home-made whole wheat pav bread with mixed vegetables curry (bhaji) to my family is one such moment that I wish to cherish forever. If we serve oven-fresh flavorful pav breads with delectable bhaji to our children, then there is no need for them to visit an eatery for a plateful of high caloric pav bhaji which is a major cause of juvenile obesity nowadays.
We can make delicious restaurant-style bhaji easily at home and it can be served with any bread, roti, or rice.
Let’s look into the recipe for bhaji usually served as a side for pav breads; you may also click on the link to find my detailed recipe for whole wheat pav bread.
Time taken: 30 min.
Yields: 3 cups (600 ml)
- Any neutral oil – 2 tsp
- Onion – 1 No.
- Tomatoes – 2 Nos.
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Potato – 1 No.
- Beetroot – 1 No. (used for its deep red color)
- Capsicum – 1 No.
- Carrot – 1 No.
- Cauliflower florets – a few
- Fresh peas – a handful
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Pav bhaji masala – ½ tsp ( I used Everest brand)
- Butter – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 5 Nos.
For garnishing :
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Onion rings
- Boiled peas
- Wash vegetables, chop them into small chunks and keep aside.
- Chop onion & tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- Grind ginger & garlic into a paste after adding little water.
- Heat a pressure cooker with neutral oil in medium flame.
- Add chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Grind ginger & garlic after adding some water.
- Add tomatoes followed by ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder & turmeric powder and saute until tomatoes turned mushy.
- Add chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Pour water (150 ml) and add salt into the cooker.
- Pressure cook the vegetables (simmer for 10 min. after bringing to high pressure).
- When the pressure is released, mash cooked vegetables using potato masher.
- Add pav bhaji masala and mix well.
- Pour hot water (50 ml) and bring it to a boil.
- Add butter and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, onion rings & boiled peas before serving.
How to serve pav bhaji: