One of the most indelibly joyful moments of any mother would be watching her children enjoying the healthy food prepared by her. Serving home-made whole wheat pav bread with mixed vegetables curry (bhaji) to my family is one such moment that I wish to cherish forever. If we serve oven-fresh flavorful pav breads with delectable bhaji to our children, then there is no need for them to visit an eatery for a plateful of high caloric pav bhaji which is a major cause of juvenile obesity nowadays.
Pav bhaji, one of the most popular street food in Mumbai, is also popular among the children across India. So we can make delicious restaurant-style bhaji easily at home and serve it with bread, chapathi, roti, or rice.
Let’s look into the recipe for bhaji usually served as a side for pav breads. You may also click here to find my recipe for whole wheat pav bread.
Vegetable bhaji recipe:
Time taken: 30 min.
Yields: 3 cups (600 ml)
- Any neutral oil – 2 tsp
- Onion – 1 No.
- Tomatoes – 2 Nos.
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Potato – 1 No.
- Beetroot – 1 No. (used for its deep red color)
- Capsicum – 1 No.
- Carrot – 1 No.
- Cauliflower florets – a few
- Fresh peas – a handful
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Pav bhaji masala – ½ tsp ( I used Everest brand)
- Butter – 1 tsp
For the spice mix:
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 5 Nos.
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Onion rings
- Boiled peas
- Wash vegetables, chop them into small chunks and keep aside.
- Chop onion & tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- Grind ginger & garlic into a paste after adding little water.
- Heat a pressure cooker with neutral oil in medium flame.
- Add chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Grind ginger & garlic after adding some water.
- Add tomatoes followed by ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder & turmeric powder and sauté until tomatoes turned mushy.
- Then add chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Pour water (150 ml) and add salt into the cooker.
- Pressure cook the vegetables (simmer for 10 min. after bringing to high pressure).
- When the pressure is released, mash cooked vegetables using potato masher.
- Add pav bhaji masala and mix well.
- Pour hot water (50 ml) and bring it to a boil.
- Add butter and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, onion rings & boiled peas before serving.
I have added beetroot along with other vegetables in this recipe, it is really useful for adding a beautiful golden color to this dish.
How to serve pav bhaji:
First we need to toast the pav bread with butter, and serve it with vegetable bhaji, chopped onion and a wedge of lemon.