Poori is one the most favorite foods for the kids, and it is usually packed for lunch or served hot when they return home after school. Poori and potato masala is the delicious pair enjoyed by all young or old. Poori also goes well with simple tomato curry, chickpeas masala, or dal.
Poori is usually prepared with plain flour or wheat flour, and we can add any pureed vegetable or greens, cheese, or spice powders into the dough to enhance the flavor or color.
First let us look into the recipe for our regular poori and you can also find the recipes for cheese poori & palak poori at the end.
Cooking Time : 20 min
Yields: 20 poori
- Whole wheat flour – 1 and 1/2 cup (300 g)
- Water – 1/2 cup (100 ml)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Oil for deep frying – 400 to 500 ml
- Mix wheat flour with salt, add water and knead them into a hard dough.
- Divide dough into 20 medium sized balls and grease them with oil.
- Roll each ball into a thick circle using roller pin and cut into a neat circle using a lid.
- Heat oil in a pan in high flame until its temperature reaches 225 deg Celcius.
- Now reduce the flame and slide poori slowly into oil and fry in medium flame.
- When the bottom turns golden, flip to other side.
- When both sides are fried, reduce the flame & remove poori from oil.
- Place it on tissue towel to drain excessive oil.
- Similarly make all poori adjusting the temperature between 200 & 225 deg Celcius.
- Serve hot puffy poori with potato masala.
- While rolling poori, grease dough with oil rather than dusting with flour. If you dust with flour, it clouds the oil and poori gets coated with burnt flour particles.
- Water & flour ratio (1:3) and oil temperature are important for making crispy puffy pooris.
- If your dough is hard (ie. made with less water) the poori will be firm & fluffy.
- It is better to fry poori immediately after kneading, else the dough will become soft and in turn poori would become soggy.
Similarly we can prepare cheese poori and palak poori as below and I hope the images below are self explanatory:
How to make cheese poori:
How to make palak poori:
First we have to steam the chopped palak leaves & green chilli (or you can microwave for 2 min) and blend well without adding water. If your palak puree is watery, reduce the water accordingly while kneading the dough.