Generally vegetable biryani served in restaurants are greasy, overly spiced, and made of semi-cooked rice tossed with few vegetables. Hence I prefer to make simple flavorful delicious vegetable biryani at home, and I like to add textured soya for making protein-rich delicious biryani. Soy biryani is a wholesome meal and is usually served with refreshing raita.
Health benefits of soy beans: Soy beans may be recommended to include into the diet of women over 40 as it contains a substance similar to oestrogen (female hormone), and it is a boon for vegetarians as it is the best source of plant based protein. It is particularly useful for people who wants to make a transition into vegan diet as both the textured soy chunks & meat share the same texture.
Now the recipe for soy biryani as below:
Time taken: 40 min
Serves : 4
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups (400 g)
- Soy chunks – 1 cup
- Water – 4 cups (800 ml)
- Vegetable Oil – 1/2 cup (100 ml)
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Carrot (large) – 1 No
- Beans – 200 g
- Potato (large) – 1 No
- Capsicum – 1 No
- Fresh peas – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Tomatoes – 4 Nos
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Green chillies – 6 Nos
- Onions (medium sized) – 2 Nos.
- Ginger – 2 inch length
- Garlic – 8 pods
- Cloves – 8 Nos.
- Cardamom – 2 Nos
- Cinnamon – 2 inch length
Mise en place:
- Wash rice & soak them in 800 ml of water along with soy chunks.
- Wash all vegetables & chop them into small cubes.
- Wash mint leaves & chop them finely.
- Grind all ingredients “For Grinding” into a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pressure cooker, add all chopped vegetables and mint leaves.
- Saute vegetables in medium flame.
- Add ground masala into sauteed vegetables and saute till oil separates.
- Add turmeric powder & fry for 30 sec.
- Add rice soaking water & salt and bring to a boil.
- Add soaked rice & soy chunks, mix them well and bring to a boil.
- Now close the pressure cooker and simmer for 10 min.
- When pressure releases add 1 tsp ghee and allow to settle for 3-5 minutes.
- Gently mix rice & vegetables with wooden spatula and serve hot delicious soy biryani.
If you want this simple moderately spiced vegetable biryani to be spicier:
- Add anistar (1 No) while heating oil.
- Add a teaspoon of red chillies powder along with turmeric powder.
- Add lemon juice (extracted from half a lemon) just before closing the pressure cooker.
How to serve Soy Biryani:
Biryani – curd rice combo is one of the popular meals in South India. Soy biryani tastes great with crunchy cucumber salad; roasted chickpeas (fried Bengal gram or udaicha kadalai) chutney may be served as a side for curd rice. Please click on the images below for their recipes.