If you are keen to reduce the intake of carbs and rice is your staple food, then here is the cooking method that you can follow to reduce the carbs in rice by 40%. I have used a special cooking pot with a perforated locking lid. We just need to cook the rice in the cooking pot and then drain the starch by closing the pot with its lid. Since the pot is locked with its lid, we can safely keep the pot tilted allowing it to drain out the starch. You can check out other similar rice cooking vessel here.
Cooking Time : 30 min
- Boiled rice (puzhungal arisi) or any rice of your choice – 300 g ( 1 and 1/2 cup)
- Water – 3 Litres
- Wash & soak rice.
- Heat a cooking pot with water and bring it to a boil in high flame.
- Add rice and cook rice until soft for about 20 minutes in medium flame.
- Before turning off the stove, make sure whether rice is properly cooked or not.
- Now lock the pot with its lid & then place it tilted on top of an empty vessel.
- Wait for few minutes until the starch gets drained off completely.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a casserole and discard the starch.
- Serve hot starch-free rice.
- The starch may be served to sick who are on liquid diet.
- It may also be used as hair conditioner, or as a cattle feed.