Actually I am not a soup enthusiast and I like to take hot vegetable soup only in the rainy evenings or winter nights. Nevertheless I like the idea of serving simple yet wholesome soup & salad for dinner as it makes us feel absolutely satiated. Sweet corn soup with sprouted moong salad is one such hearty meal that can be prepared with little efforts.
I prefer to use gluten-free arrowroot starch rather than commonly used corn starch (corn flour) as a soup thickener for its health benefits particularly for ease of digestion. Hence this soup can be served even to babies, old people, or anyone with sensitive stomach.
Now lets get into the sweet corn soup preparation:
Time taken: 20 min.
Yields: 1 Litre
- Sweet corn cob – 1 No.
- Carrot (medium) – 2 Nos.
- Green beans – 5 Nos.
- Arrowroot starch – 1 tbsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- White pepper powder – as required
- Water or vegetable broth – 1 Ltr
Sweet corn soup preparation:
- Remove corn kernels from its cob.
- Wash carrot and beans.
- Chop beans into thin discs and carrot into small cubes.
- Steam corn kernels, diced carrots and sliced beans for 5 min.
- Grind steamed kernels coarsely in a mixer-grinder just for 5 seconds.
- Add steamed diced carrots, sliced green beans & crushed corn kernels into a sauce pan.
- Pour water or vegetable broth into the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile dissolve arrowroot starch in little water and prepare a lumps-free solution.
- When the water begins to boil, pour arrowroot solution into the soup and then bring it to a final boil.
- Stir in pepper powder & salt and remove the pan from heat.
- Pour sweet corn soup into soup bowls and season with salt & pepper.
- Serve hot with salad & soup sticks.